Friday 31 May 2013

Spices: Yomenya Goemon (closed)

I was very skeptical about this resto the first time I've heard about it. A Japanese restaurant serving pasta and pizza seems odd to me. But after reading good things about this place, I wanted to give it a try to find out if it was indeed good.

Yomenya Goemon

While looking at their menu, I found out that Yomenya Goemon was actually a franchise from Japan. It has been operating since the mid 70's. I was surprised to see the cooks straining the pasta noodles using bamboo woven trays. What's more interesting is that people are supposed to eat pasta using chopsticks.


Table Set Up



There were different styles of pasta dishes, we got to try out two western style pasta dishes, the first of which is the Spaghetti Margherita. The pasta looked simple and unique, big chunks of tomato were used and on the center was a squeezed strip of basil puree.

Spaghetti Margherita - Php200

The Spaghetti Margherita was fantastic, pasta was al dente and the flavors was spot on. The use of the woven bamboo strainers added a pleasant fragrant taste to the pasta itself. There were even bits of chewy cheese on the dish.



The Crab, Shrimp and Scallop in Cream Sauce didn't look as promising as the Spaghetti Margheritta. This was because the sauce looked too watery and runny.

Crab, Shrimp and Scallop in Cream Sauce - Php365

But to my surprise, it tasted great. Again the pasta was perfectly cooked and it had the same fragrant taste. Even if the sauce was runny, it was seasoned so well that I wanted to mop up everything.



We also wanted to try out one of their pizza and decided on the Smoked Chicken with Four Cheese.

Smoked Chicken with Four Cheese - Php350

The so called Japanese pizza looked simple, it had a few toppings on top and the crust was the soft and chewy type. I'm not a fan of the soft and chewy type of crust but this was so light and soft that I enjoyed every bite of it. It was well-worth for its price, it wasn't the usual Italian or American style pizza and I found the pizza pretty good.




What I enjoyed the most about dining here is that the resto knows how to cook great pasta. The ingredients used and the way they cooked it remained simple, just like how Italian pasta is. Yomenya Goemon just tweaked the recipes a little to call it their own. I enjoyed the pasta here even more than some of the Italian restos who claims to serve authentic Italian food




Yomenya Goemon
Address: 2nd Floor Greenbelt 3, Ayala Center, Makati City
Tel No.: 729 0586

No comments:

Post a Comment